This super-easy playdough recipe is the perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon inside. It’s quick enough to hold a young child’s attention and you only need a few ingredients. It can be stored in an air-tight bag or container. If your child has coeliac disease or you have a friend over with it, you can use gluten free flour and the fun is guaranteed for all!
Little hands can play with the results straight away, so there’s immediate gratification for all involved. Younger children will find it easier to press out shapes & roll with their hands rather than using a rolling pin.
You will need
- 8 tbsp plain flour (or GF flour)
- 2 tbsp table salt
- 60ml warm water
- food colouring
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the water, a few drops of food colouring and the oil.
2. Pour the coloured water into the flour mix and bring together with a spoon
3. Dust a work surface with a little flour and turn out the dough. Knead together for a few minutes to form a smooth, pliable dough. If you want a more intense colour you can work in a few extra drops of food colouring.
4. Store in a plastic sandwich bag (squeeze out the air) in the fridge to keep it fresh.